At Lam, our vision is for every person to feel valued, included, and empowered to achieve their full potential. By bringing unique individuals and viewpoints together, we achieve extraordinary results. Lam recognizes that diverse thinking and offering opportunities for everyone play a crucial role in the efficacy and staying power of a culture done right. Here are five things we are doing to foster a culture of inclusion and diversity (I&D) at Lam.
- Strengthening Leadership: In 2020, I was hired to integrate our three strategic pillars (foster inclusion, increase diversity, and share progress) across all business units and build a strategic focus. One of the team’s priorities is leadership development to strengthen leaders’ and people managers’ inclusion skills. Lam’s I&D training provides talking points and best practices for having a respectful and meaningful conversation, along with opportunities to practice what you’ve learned.
- Zeroing Out Microinequities and Tackling Unconscious Bias: Many of our leaders and people managers have already attended a special four-hour session focused on ending microinequities. Participants learned how to send the right message across businesses, borders, and cultures. Lam also recently introduced unconscious bias mitigation training for all employees. And to help these learnings remain top of mind, we’ve introduced “inclusion nudges,” which provide practical information about inclusion and how to practice it.
- Empowering Employees: Lam has a variety of employee resource groups (ERGs) that connect employees, provide learning and development opportunities, support recruitment, and engage in our local communities. Recently, Lam collaborated with our Community of Latinos and African Americans for Student Success (C.L.A.S.S.) ERG to gain their input on where our social justice grant funding should be directed, resulting in grants to four organizations supporting the Black community. We also believe in celebration, and in June 2020 we worked with the PRIDE ERG to create a video featuring several employees sharing what Pride means to them.
- Building New Pathways through Partnership: Collaboration is critical to building a successful inclusion and diversity program, and Lam is building partnerships with leading organizations in the I&D community. As of June 2020, we are a corporate sponsor of the AnitaB.org organization, known for their annual Grace Hopper Celebration, which is the world’s largest gathering of women technologists. Out & Equal, another new partner, helps LGBTQ people thrive and supports organizations in creating a culture of belonging for all.
- Sharing our Progress:We regularly check ourselves and our efforts to ensure we are doing everything we can to reach our vision of every person at Lam feeling valued and empowered to achieve their full potential. Transparent reporting on our efforts, successes, opportunities and key learnings holds us accountable and inspires us to do even more and be even better, every day. We strive to increase our transparency over time and in our most recent CSR report included data on the gender breakdown of new college graduates, managers, and executives at Lam.
Read our latest Environmental, Social, and Governance Report to learn more about our inclusion and diversity strategy and progress.